Monday, March 28, 2011

Do I need further proof?

The galley proofs have arrived and I am to go through them and find mistakes, if any.  Faced with this tiresome task, my mind wanders.  Why are they called proofs?  I suppose I could google “galley proofs” and get the answer immediately, but I prefer to imagine my own explanation.  I think of all the times I encountered the word proof.

“The proof is in the pudding.”  Evidence that someone is a good cook? 
“Show me some proof.”  Exhibit A, no doubt. 
“Geometric proof?”  Reminders of high school days, long past.  
“14.5% proof”  One drink would probably do it.  
"Proof"  A fine theatrical experience.

But, I am facing a galley proof – the printed copy that I must check for errors before it goes to the printer.   Do I need further proof of my procrastination?  Back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment